Saturday, July 7, 2018

Today I learned... Kimonos

Stephanie Ng Kimono
Stephanie Ng in Kimono :)

Happy Tanabata!

To celebrate Tanabata (七夕), I will talk about something I learned about Kimonos... in Japanese, Kimono is a type of 呉服 (GoFuku)... if you notice the kanji, you will notice that it is a variation of my last name “吳”.


Kimono and umbrella


While talking to a student today, I learned that 呉服’s 呉 is actually derived from the 吳國 in ancient China.

When I told my student that my last name's Chinese character is "吳", he said that I should wear Kimonos in pride because it was possibly borrowed and taken from 吳國 in ancient China (which is where my ancestors have gotten this last name and passed it to me!)

So.... technically, I am wearing clothing from my ancestors... from.... 3000-4000 (or more years ago!) :D cool! (don't reference me for the years... I'm terrible at history... and math... XD)

No comments:

Post a Comment