Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Sarcasm



Ephesians 4:29 says:
Don't say anything that would hurt [another person]. Instead, speak only what is good so that you can give help wherever it is needed. That way, what you say will help those who hear you.

My whole life I thought sarcasm was fun, a joke, something to spice up a conversation, and even a way to show others that I'm fluent and "cool".

I never understood how it affected me or others until today. I hurt a friend through sarcasm today and I finally learned the hard way how it can be damaging. Right after the words left my mouth, I wanted to take them all back, chew on them and swallow them so that they can never be heard again.

Matthew 12:34-37 says: 
 You brood of vipers, how can you who are evil say anything good? For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of. 35 A good man brings good things out of the good stored up in him, and an evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in him. 36 But I tell you that everyone will have to give account on the day of judgment for every empty word they have spoken. 37 For by your words you will be acquitted, and by your words you will be condemned.”

Here are a few points I drew from this experience:


  • Sarcasm is damaging because it hurts others as an expense to make you feel superior
  • It hurts even if you aren't on the receiving end.
  • It confuses people.
  • It does not tell the receiver your real intentions (lying)
  • It is evil because it hurts people, belittled them and takes away joy... in other words, sarcasm steals and destroys.
  • It is rude
  • It can ruin someone's reputation


John 10:10 says:
The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.
And this is what sarcasm does...


Sent from my iPhone

midnight thoughts

No comments:

Post a Comment