Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Today I learned... Lion Dances

taken by my dad during one of his performances

Today I learned what each Lion's colour means for Lions in Lion Dances.

Black - fighting
Red - victory, courage
Green - friendship, brotherhood, goodwill
Gold/Yellow - vitality, dynamic spirit

As insignificant this info might seem... it helps you understand the significance and symbols they place in Kung Fu movies. I remember when I was about 4 years old, my parents and I were watching a Wong Fei Hung movie, during a friendly competition, a competitor tried to join at the last minute before the Lion Dance competition ended (to announce the winner). The moment my dad saw them bringing in a black lion, he said: "oh... trouble... they are here to fight".

Lion dances are not just performed during New Year... some stores will hire them during their grand opening in Hong Kong. (see what lion they use :P)

So with this piece of information, see how it will benefit you the next time you watch a Kung Fu movie :)



No comments:

Post a Comment