Monday, April 4, 2016

representing Canadians

listening to: Jay Chou (please excuse any typos/errors...)
photo source: www.snowcollegenews.com


So after 4 people from 4 different countries (Chicago, NY, Australia and UK) have commented about my Canadian accent, I feel the need to write it here in my blog. These all happened in 4 different occasions:

K from Chicago: Wow... you are definitely Canadian, I haven't heard a Torontonian accent in a long time... especially the way you say "Toronto"

D from NY: yes! That's how you know she's from Toronto, the way she pronounces Toronto...

E from Australia: ... it's so obvious you are from North America... the US or Canada... that accent 

S from UK: hahaha... say that again? You are so Canadian... just like my Canadian friend...



HAHA... these comments make me very self conscious of the way I speak... do I really sound THAT Canadian (more specifically Torontonian)?. I am afraid to say the word "Toronto" now... -_____-||


A new place

Shibuya Miyamasusaka 宮益坂、渋谷



All my life I have spoken English like how I know it... I can recognize the Southern American accent and the UK/Australian accent (till now I can't fully distinguish it... sorry to all my British/English and Australian friends >___<).

The reason why I decided to write these thoughts down is not to show you how "Canadian" or "Torontonian" I am... but rather... it is a wake up call for me... it finally hits me that I am no longer in Canada... where everyone speaks English with the same accent as I do... it's not a place where people have a similar background as I do... I am in a foreign place... a place where if I speak/act/think... I leave an impression on others about Canadians... . I can relate to them... I have met people from different countries (side note: my church has over 52 nationalities) and they are and most probably be the only one I will meet from their country/city/town... whatever they do influences my impression on people from their countries..

As I am still learning to adjust to this new place... I come across new and fascinating things every day... and today... this is what I discovered. As I meet new friends and students... they not only see me as "Stephanie Ng", but also as a "Canadian", "Hong Konger/ese", and "Torontontian".

1 comment:

  1. HAAAAAAAAAA!!! Told you were Canadian!!

    ReplyDelete